Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Every day is a good day


Here I have to relay part of an email I received a little while ago. Maybe you’ve received it at some point as well.

It’s a story about the father of a wealthy family who took his son to the country (or rural areas in our case)… to show his son how poor people live. Upon their return, the father enquired “so, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?” The son answered:

“I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. …..We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them. …. Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are.”

Perspective. A magical little something that can turn your world around in an instant. However, difficult to bear in mind when adversity hits you. I personally have my moments…. sometimes days… when the positive perspective goes out the door and refer to it as my mojo going on holiday. At these times I mull over my problems and patiently wait for my mojo to return. And when it does, I feel a bit stupid for succumbing to the blues. A good friend always reminds me that “we have to feel all our seasons” … our very own summers, winters, spring and autumn. And like all seasons, they come and go.

In this light, every day certainly is a good day. Boiling down to how you choose to see it… your attitude towards your seasons. I think the trick lies in not clinging to your summers or winters at length but to let them come and then let them go. And should the blues arrive, a magical dose of perspective has the power to make all the difference. To truly live is to feel all your seasons.

(Pic: http://reviveyourlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/glass-half-full.jpg)

2 comments:

  1. A good friend always reminds me that “we have to feel all our seasons” … our very own summers, winters, spring and autumn. And like all seasons, they come and go. - wow!! this is really awesome!!

    ReplyDelete